[Sca-cooks] OOP - Millard Fillmore

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 31 18:00:16 PDT 2008

I got interested in our "do nothing" president Millard Fillmore.  On his
watch, we stayed out of war, opened trade with Japan, and bought a little
stretch of land on the southern border called the Gadsen Purchase.  On the
down side, he signed the Fugitive Slave Act.

Curiously, he contributed to the fine art of cooking by have stoves
installed in the kitchens at the White House.  Prior to his term, cooking
was done in the fireplaces.  Apparently the stoves were complex enough that
the director of the patent office had to show the cooks how to use the heat
dampers to avert a mutiny.  An interesting and possible apocryphal piece of
history.

Bear