[Sca-cooks] Why *X* and not *Y*?

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 08:11:17 PDT 2008

My granddaughter is one who will try anything, especially if it's
weird.  She will also chose a sit down restaurant over fast food any
day and rarely orders off the kid's menu if she can help it. Chinese
is her favorite.

Recently she had the chance to try lamb (Not something prepared at
home from one of those histories of my mom's father didn't like it and
my dad didn't either so my mother never bothered with it so it's not
common in our diet) While I liked the selection, she didn't.  She
isn't sure about liver I think, only had a small bite of it once.
It's a texture thing there for her.

Growing up we had the advantage of having a father from East Chicago
with Slovak roots and a mother from Texas, and all those military
bases- I think a lot of my mom's early cooking was from tidbits from
the other wifes from all over the world.  Our diet was a lot broader
than the average family.  We also had the rule of cleaning one's plate
or there would be pain.  Most of the time that wasn't a problem, but
stewed tomatoes with bread makes me shudder to this day...

alex
On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2008, at 12:22 AM, Lady Celia wrote:
>
>> Simon Sinneghe said:
>> <<My oldest granddaughter refuses to eat pork, says pigs are dirty
>> animals.  She also refuses any kind of pizza other than pepperoni.  Go
>> figure.>>
>>
>> ummm... but isn't pepperoni made with... ?
>

> Generally, yes. And aren't pigs quite clean animals given their druthers and
> compared to, say, chickens?
>
> While we're on the subject, aren't children illogical?
>
> Adamantius
>

> "Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we
> all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
>                        -- Rabbi Israel Salanter

"I'm buying this fabric/book now in case I have an emergency...you
know, having to suddenly make presents for everyone, sickness,flood,
injury, mosquito infestations, not enough silk in the house, it's
Friday..." ;)