[Sca-cooks] [Fwd: Nutmeg in stale ale]

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Aug 2 11:43:07 PDT 2008

In the this context, Chaucer is likely using "moist" to mean "new" and
"stale" to mean "old."  Considering that traditional ale is unhopped and
meant to be drunk immediately, that "old" is probably relative and may
relate to a higher alcohol content as the fermentation will continue until
all of the sugars are consumed.

IIRC, Falstaff also adds mutmeg to his ale in one of Shakespeare's plays.

I suspect the nutmeg is being added to the ale to give it some bite.  The
traditional ales I've encountered tend to be a little on the sweet side.

Bear