[Sca-cooks] Spicing was Non-Pennsic SCA activities?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 7 05:16:16 PDT 2008

I mentioned this question to the author of Take A /Thousand Eggs/ or
More and Cindy Renfrow wrote me that
"Off the top of my head...
<shrug> Spices were expensive imports. Except for a few notable
exceptions in the collection, and as far as I recall, spices were used
sparingly and in a manner that they'd be most noticed by the diners –
i.e. as a final tasty, colorful garnish. This was especially true on
white dishes. Herbs, ginger and saffron, OTOH, were grown locally and
used in larger quantity.?

I suspect that one reason why our modern working recipes are perhaps
less spicy than people may now prefer
is that modern American tastes are shaped by and used to amounts of
Capsicum peppers, including chili (chile) peppers and sweet peppers
that the medieval Europeans never tasted. Think about the salsas, hot
sauces, and other products that
stores like Chili Traditions sell
(http://www.chiletraditions.com/index.htm).

One other factor is that while it is somewhat easy to Add more spice to
a dish, it can prove almost impossible
to subtract and re-adjust a dish's spiciness downward. Can we really
blame Hieatt and Butler of Pleyn Delit for erring on the side of
caution in spicing?

Two new books that talk about the spice trade are:

Freedman, Paul. /Out of the East. Spices and the Medieval Imagination/.
New Haven: Yale University Press, 2008.

Krondl, Michael. /The Taste of Conquest. The Rise and Fall of the Three
Great Cities of Spice/. New York: Ballantine Books, 2007.

Johnnae