[Sca-cooks] Non-Pennsic SCA activities?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 01:47:21 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 8/6/08, Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:
> On an observational note, I have noticed that the modern
> versions of the recipes from both Pleyn Delit and 1000 eggs tend to be
> pretty light in their use of spices. I've found that when I
> make them with the quantities specified, that they tend to be rather
> under-spiced to my taste. Does anyone else find this to be so? In each of
> the recipes I prepared from these books, I significantly increased the
> amounts of spices and though them much improved from the way they
> tasted with the called for amounts.
>
> Dragon

Dragon,

Do I remember correctly that you are a smoker?  If so, then that may be part of the answer.  Smoking greatly inhibits the taste buds.  I have known many smokers who complain that food is bland and then add a lot more spices to the dish.  After they quit smoking, they discover that the food wasn't bland at all and food tastes much better as is.

Huette