[Sca-cooks] weird question - honey fast???

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:13:01 PDT 2008

> Please enlighten me I cannot not figure how anyone one can
> fathom honey as a meat product.
> Suey
> P.S.
> The Archpriest of Hita was not Orthodox!

Honey, like milk, is the product of actions by an animal.  (Insect =
animal, at least for some values of insect, according to certain
religious doctrines.)  If I recall correctly, the honeybee was classed
with animals by the medieval Roman Catholic doctrines in large part
because it was seen as so industrious -- and OBVIOUSLY it was neither
fish nor fowl.

Amra / Kihe / Mike

P.S.  Orthodox or not, Christian or not, priests of every religion have
been known to make pronouncements about fasts, feasts, and other
admonitions concerning foods and drinks.  Juan Ruiz may have been
ostensibly Catholic, but what very little I know of his life and works
could as easily have arisen in some part from a Dionysian or Apollonian
religious background if one gets right down to it...