[Sca-cooks] freshwater vs. saltwater eels

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 09:40:12 PDT 2008

Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:
>> Or are all eels saltwater eels that live most of their lives in freshwater
>> and migrate to salt water to spawn? (hmmm. or maybe the reverse?
>>

> There are exclusive saltwater and freshwater eels. There are also
> brackish water eels that migrate between different salinities, either
> spending part of their life in rivers or hunting in estuaries. I have
> no idea of the differences in tastes though... or even if the
> freswater eels are ever eaten... this is all fishkeeping knowledge...
Popular Japanese dish Unagi is freshwater eel, traditionally a summer
dish.  My favorite is grilled with a sweet sauce.  Unagi sauce is good
over any grilled fish really.  Saltwater fish is called Anago.

Video of someone cutting and preparing it from the live state.  Warning,
eel is snuffed, there is blood, you have been warned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydYk9ccpzI

Selene