[Sca-cooks] Wanted: Bean Recipes

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 09:51:41 PDT 2008

Martha Oser wrote:
> Greetings all!  I hope everyone that went to Pennsic had a great time
> and everyone that stayed home had a great time too!
> Now that we're back, it's time for my husband and I to start eating
> healthier and lower carb again.
> I am currently looking for some good bean recipes to use as side
> dishes for our dinners, since beans are on the "authorized" list for
> Phase 1.  By this I mean recipes involving things like kidney beans,
> navy beans, pinto beans, and so on, and go beyond just the standard
> baked beans/pork & beans thing.  Please, no beans & rice, since rice
> is currently on the "not authorized" list.
> Any recipe suggestions will be gladly received.
> Many thanks!
> Helena

Just to clarify:  you are looking for recipes for use at home, not
necessarily SCA-worthy medieval recipes, right?  Although the two are
not mutually exclusive propositions.  <grin>  Just remember which ones
"have not been discovered yet" for SCA usage.

When I was doing the low carb thang, I made up the soya flour pancakes
from the Atkins cookbook a lot.  Even used them once as blini with
caviar and sour cream.  Now that's a diet!  The same batter works pretty
well cooked in a pizzelli iron.

Hummus is your friend.  Any kind of legumes, squished up or whizzed in a
blender, and spices as you like.  Visualize Whirled Peas!  /rimshot
This is very nice with Italian white beans and pizza-type spices.

Those times when I just HAD to have something crunchy, I went for East
Indian papadums, that really did the trick.  They come pre-spiced and
sometimes very spicy indeed, so read the packages carefully.  When
overseas, Evil Minion #1 saw papadums packaged in cardboard cans, just
like Pringles Potato Chips.  Wish we could get those here!  On the other
hand, being able to control what kind of cooking oil is used is not a
bad thing.  Just time consuming.

Good luck to you, you are an inspiration!
Selene