[Sca-cooks] Wanted: Bean Recipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 11 14:06:13 PDT 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 3:33 PM, <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> When overseas, Evil Minion #1 saw papadums packaged in cardboard
> cans, just like Pringles Potato Chips.  Wish we could get those
> here!  On the other hand, being able to control what kind of cooking
> oil is used is not a bad thing.  Just time consuming.
>
> I've seen the canned poppadoms here, but they were very expensive,
> around $4 for a small can, when a pack of the uncooked ones is a
> dollar or so.
>
> I don't use oil when I cook them, just a hot, well seasoned cast
> iron griddle, then set the flat, clean  bottom of  a moderately
> heavy saucepan on top, when they start to puff, which is only a few
> seconds, flip them and cook that side, also weighted.  Virtually no
> oil at all, the trick is holding them down to the hot pan, since
> they want to curl up and away from the heat.

Ya know, you can also nuke papadums. And Chinese and Indonesian shrimp
chips, as well. You just have to be careful not to do too many at a
time, and watch them carefully. Takes about 20 seconds for the large
ones, as I recall.

I've also seen papadums toasted high above an open gas flame...

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter