[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Camp Cooking

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 11 20:33:50 PDT 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 10:50 PM, S CLEMENGER wrote:

> Do you soak the oats first?
> I had some oat bread at a potluck last week that was quite
> interesting.
> Modern recipe, but still good.  Apparently, instead of mixing the
> dry oats
> into the dough, one starts by cooking them, just like oatmeal....
> --Maire

Somewhere I've got a copy of the receipt book of Giulielma [Mrs.
William] Penn, dated roughly 1690, if I remember correctly, and her
recipe for oatcakes involves fine oatmeal soaked overnight in spring
water to make a batter. It seems to be the closest near-period, actual
recipe approximating Froissart's description (14th century?) of
Scottish soldiers making oatcakes on a stone in the field.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter