[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

rattkitten rattkitten at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 12 17:56:22 PDT 2008

I just want to comment on this coming from the schools side.... (Being a
chef for a school that is peanut free.)
We already make sure that no one can get in to hurt them, we educate
them, and we even keep certain foods from them.  (BTW there are also
"Bans" in some places on other foods that the parents have NO FREAKING
CLUE ABOUT!!!!!  ((Not yelling emphasizing!!!))   But I'll hit that in a
minute....
We have to take 100% responsibility for these kids while they are in our
care.  That means that for about 8 hours a day they become our kids.
Think about that as well.... they spend about 10 hours sleeping, 8 hours
with us.... that gives them about 6 hours with you 2 of which is eating,
1 of which is bathing and some if applicable is chores or homework... So
yeah generally we tend to over react about kids and allergies... but
then multiply that by 200 -250 (we are a small school) then figure in
that some parents won't think about telling the school, don't know,
don't look hard enough at a label, or whatever..... Yes it is much
easier to ban 1-2 items than to try and catch it in time.... Now to make
the real point.....

    In a nut free school, teacher has a Hershey bar, (Check the label it
is there), touches kid with allergy that doesn't have smart parents that
said anything.... KID DIES....  Do you want to stand in those shoes when
it comes time to make that phone call?

Now you can call me a reactionist but I consider myself safe... I check
every label that comes in the kitchen, I am also diligent about checking
things that parents bring in and that teachers bring in... (Yes there
are NUTS in a Banana NUT Muffin)

I was shocked when I found out that the popcorn at our house, (We have
no ban there BTW), Listed almost every allergy possible for exposure..
(Peanut, Tree nut, Soy, Dairy, Egg, and a few others...) I was like...
WTF? are they doing in that plant?  Luckily it doesn't matter at the
house.

But as someone that works in a Nut Free environment let me also urge you
to not bring in the Nuts.  Do you really want to be THAT parent?  When
the other phone call is made?  We won't tell that it was you but you
will know.....
BTW If you are dealing with a Day Care.... Keep the Grapes, raisins,
cubed pineapple, hot dog wienies, pretzel bites, uhmmm damn I need my
list.... ah hell go look on the DSS list for your zone.... or ask the
administrator in charge for the list of foods not allowed for what
ages.  (CHOKING HAZARDS!!!!)
For anyone wanting to fuss about the ban I say Hey be Happy that we can
Probably help the little buggers when they are choking on the toy that
the idiot parents gave them to bring in that day!  "It won't hurt..."
"RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!!!

Sorry someone pulled my cord....
Nichola