[Sca-cooks] Fruit and Meat, was Pennsic Camp Cooking

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 14:35:13 PDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Gretchen Beck wrote:

> --On Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:14 PM -0400 "Phil Troy / G.
> Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Roast pork with applesauce
>> Duck a l'orange/bigarrade
>> Mackerel with gooseberries
>> Ham with any of several glazes or chutneys
>> Lamb with mint jelly (which is often mint-flavored apple jelly)
>>
>> Okay, these are mostly European, but not all that weird by American
>> standards...
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> Yes, and apples and saurkraut, but by and large, fruit and meat
> together are not the norm in mainstream (non-gourmet, using the term
> as it was used in the 1950s/60s) American cooking.

No, they're not the norm, but not unprecedented, even in the 50's and
60's, which is a cuisine many would argue much of it should be allowed
to die of natural causes anyway. Treating it as if deviation from that
norm is some sort of threat to the good ol' U.S. of A. seems pretty
silly.

>  Even some of the above, the fruit is a side, not part of the main
> spicing/cooking of the dish (turkey and cranberry sauce, Pork with
> applesauce, lamb with mint jelly).

If it's a sauce, or if it's served touching the meat, or if you eat it
in the same mouthful as the meat, it's not a side.

> And while tomatos are botanically a fruit, most americans (and most
> american cookbooks) treat them as a vegetable.

I'm sure. But acknowledging that a viewpoint exists is not a defense,
or an effective prosecution of another viewpoint. Americans believe
all sorts of interesting things.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter