[Sca-cooks] properly prepared marrow?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 13 23:13:51 PDT 2008

--On Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:53 AM -0500 Stefan li Rous
<stefanlirous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Anybody know of any evidence of these being used during our period? To a
> certain extent, this makes me think of a later time period, Georgian?
> Edwardian? But I can imagine them being used in upper crust period feasts.

The OED has it at the end of the 17th C:

1693 London Gaz. No. 2853/4, 1 Sweat-meat Spoon, 1 *Marrow Spoon, 1 Ladle
and Skillet.

<A Register of the Members of St. Mary Magdalen College, Oxford,> notes an
object identified in a modern inventory as a marrow spoon with an
inscription dating to 1667 and another whose inscription is dated 1664.

I'm not sure about the heavy ball on the end though; most descriptions I'm
seeing suggest a scoop at both ends (or one describes a fork with a marrow
spoon as a handle)

toodles, margaret