[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:15:52 PDT 2008

Nicco said:
I am in favor of finding a way to protect the vulnerable
few . . . and at the same time considering the majority.

I agree. It is, or should be, an ongoing topic of discussion. I really miss
peanut butter. We are fortunate that Margret's allergy is only moderate, I
am not sure what my attitude would be if it was severe. But at last word
from the pediatric allergist, she's most likely going to be stuck with it
her whole life.
I suspect, although I don't think it has been mentioned in this version of
the discussion on this list, that one of the reasons that peanut butter is
so popular in schools is that it is a cheap protein. As someone trying to
stretch a middle class income to feed, clothe, and house four people, I can
appreciate this.
Also, I do apprecitate the moderation of your tone. What really bothered me
about that story was the hatefulness of some of the comments that people
made, posted anonymously on email lists, I believe it was-they would not
have been that brave to say something like that to a parent's face, I bet.
One of the things I treasure about the SCA is that we (most of us, anyway,)
try and behave like adults when discussing things.
A solution? I dunno, we have pretty much come to one that works for our kid,
I can't presume to suggest what other people would do. So, we keep talking,
I guess. Thanks again for giving me a forum to air my views.
YIS,
Isabella de la Gryffin
Oldenfeld, Trimaris

Frank Zappa

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead.
Thomas Paine