[Sca-cooks] Crown Prince Uther & Duke Jade

euriol euriol at ptd.net
Thu Aug 14 14:16:47 PDT 2008

You can imagine my surprise when I saw Uther in his 16th century garb
getting ready for one of the Rapier tournaments at Pennsic along with
Viscount Brand. I thought they were trying to tweak with my brain. I also
was just amazed how much Uther spoke of his love for the Rapier and smiled
as I saw him maitaining his blade. Certainly a very big change in attitude
than what I had seen in the West many, many years ago (not specifically
from Uther, but just from heavy fighters in general).

I also thought it interesting how HRH Gunthar expressed his opinion of
Uther vs. Jade. I must say that I would be the flip side to that coin. Jade
was the first person I was told stories of when I first joined the SCA,
stories about his first Crown Tourney. Over the years, whenever I had a
chance to speak or spend time with Jade he always made me feel special.
This is a quality I see Jade share with almost everyone I've observed him
interact one on one with. It could have been no one else who would made it
more special to me than having Jade  & Eliana (a dear friend) elevate me to
the Order of the Pelican. I suppose that there is always one person that
you think of as your "Captain" for me it is Jade.

Euriol