[Sca-cooks] OOP More schools ban Peanut Butter

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 12:00:37 PDT 2008

>> It is unreasonable for a school system to base its lunch program on peanuts.
>> However, totally banning peanuts from an entire school is probably not
>> feasible.
>>

> And same thing with feasts...
Why not?  I feel pretty safe stating that I can think of no pre-1650
recipes use peanuts or peanut oil.  I can't promise that about other nut
content, notably *almonds* mind you.  However, most of the
tree-nut-allergics I know are allowed to be in the same room with
almonds, so that's manageable.  Not like the poor kid who got sick
because a workman at his school had satay the night before.  [Oh Noes!
I had really better not work for a school, then.]

Back in the modern day, however... I think those of us who are of a
Certain Generation "Baby Boomer" have an emotional attachment to peanuts
and peanut butter as comfort food and that's why we have this
disproportionate response to this sudden upswing in severe peanut
allergies.  What happened to cause that?

Selene