[Sca-cooks] Elderberries

Kean Gryffyth kad.dsl at verizon.net
Sun Aug 17 07:50:47 PDT 2008

Here's a recipe for Elderberry Liquor. This produces a strikingly deep
purple liquor with a pleasant taste.

Note: This recipe assumes you have some knowledge of the process of
producing liquors. If anyone needs assistance on that front, I can
define the terms and techniques upon request.

 From "Cordials from your kitchen"

4 cups fresh elderberries, picked over and washed
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup water
3 cups 100 proof vodka

Crush Elderberries and Sugar together in a bowl. Let stand for about 1
hour.
Add Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice.
Transfer to clean 2 quart container and add Water and Vodka.
Cover and let stand in a cool, dark place for 1 month, shaking
occasionally.

Use a fine mesh stainer to stain out solids, discard solids.
Transfer liquor to a clean container and left stand for 1 week.
Rack or filter into final container.
Cover and age 1 month more before serving.
Yield: aprox. 1.5 quarts,

-Kean