[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Aug 20 06:39:28 PDT 2008

I have to wonder if this method would be approved by a county public
health department or restaurant/kitchen inspection crew.
The general rules are
"When cooked *food* will not be
served immediately, it is essential to hold it properly
(above 140°F) or to cool it as
quickly as possible."
http://www.foodprotection.org/publications/Booklets/Food_Safety_Temp._Events.pdf

Can you really insure that meats or pasta held in this manner in a cooler
will stay above 140 degrees for the number of hours you indicate?
How can you monitor this to the satisfaction of the authorities?
Has this method been approved by a public health department?

I guess my tip would be to know what the health and safety rules/public
health rules are that govern your feast and the kitchen you are working
in? In many areas you may be able to bring in baked cookies or plain
pastries, but all other foods must be cooked/prepared on site. Do you
need to pull a permit for the feast? Do you need to pass a food safety
course to be legal?

Liability wise, of course, if something happens (and in these days of
food poisoning cases and food recalls across the country who can be
sure) it's likely your homeowners insurance and personal liability
that will get tapped. Are you covered for a lawsuit?

Johnnae

Barbara Benson wrote:
> Coolers keep hot things hot as well as they keep cold things cold. A
> disinfected cooler filled to the brim with just off the grill meat
> will keep super hot for several hours.
>
> A cooler is also excellent for holding a large quantity of cooked
> pasta - just make sure you have dressed it well with olive oil to
> prevent sticking.
> snipped
> --
> Serena da Riva

I know everyone isn't a fan of this method, but I like to completely
prep and freeze some things ahead and I've also been known to partially
prep and freeze.  For example, blancmange is a doddle to make if you
have pre-made almond milk and frozen cooked, shredded chicken.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo