[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Aug 21 09:15:19 PDT 2008

Maggie MacD. did speak thusly:
>At 02:22 PM 8/20/2008,Dragon said something like:
>>If not, I usually collaborate with one or more of the other cooks
>>to provide something. When we did 12th Night in Dreiburgen this
>>past January, I provided a ham and Maggie MacDonald made a big pot
>>of vegetable and barley soup with some home baked bread.
>>
>>We then required that everyone take a break and eat something.
>>Whether they ate what we provided or got their own, the break was
>>mandatory. There will be no fainting in any of my kitchens.
>>
>>Dragon
>
>My part of the expense on this was < $5.  The ham was probably on
>the post-christmas sales, thus it was also "quite a bargain" (PROBABLY).

I think I paid about $10 for it. It was a fairly good sized one too.

Then again, the kitchen crew was about a dozen people so it wasn't
like we were busting the bank to feed the crew.

The point I guess is that it can be done inexpensively but still
provide something tasty and filling to keep the crew going.

>And -having- to sit down and eat was a very smart/good thing for
>Dragon to insist on.  When dinner came on we weren't bug-eyed and
>twitching, but mostly (MOSTLY) relaxed and ready to get things going.

Yes, well I was in need of it so if I was feeling it badly (and I
have a pretty good helping of stamina), then I am sure others needed it too.

It was also nice to provide the lunch leftovers to a few of our less
fortunate SCA brethren who could barely afford to attend the event.

Dragon