[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 21 12:10:25 PDT 2008

Beth Ann Bretter wrote:
> That said, I'm not so sure that throwing people who are afraid to try medieval cuisine out of the feast hall is either a wise or appropriate reaction.  Instead I tend to feel pity for their lack of culinary adventure.  Throwing them out of the feast hall or making any other kind of scene is not going to inspire them, to try period cuisine any time in the near future.  It will also not inspire a great deal of sympathy from peope who witness the cooks intolerance of another person's eating habits.

*shrug* I think it's completely appropriate.  I have absolutely no
problem with people not attending feasts, not eating the food, only
eating some of the food, or whatever.  I don't even mind them bringing
some food along if they can't eat much of what's served, or to take the
edge off, or whatever.  Ordering pizza, however, is an insult-- it's a
way of very, very obviously announcing that *you* won't be eating the
feast.  You wouldn't do it at dinner in someone's home because it would
be so breathtakingly insulting.  You wouldn't do it in even the humblest
restaurant.  You wouldn't do it at a dinner party or a church social.
And you wouldn't do it at a feast.
> IMO, it's bad a bad marketing decision all around. People are either adventuresome or not.  Patience and encouragement are much more effective actions to take than causing a scene.

I think the pizza ordering is enough of a scene, and a cook should *not*
have to brook that kind of insult.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,