[Sca-cooks] kitchen tips

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Aug 22 04:42:02 PDT 2008

There are versions of the recipes that call for oven baking until soft
at 250 degrees.
I would guess timing out a huge quantity would be a problem plus it ties
up oven space. Maybe roasters would do???
The last time I made it we used crock pots and we didn't make that much.
You don't always find recipes that cook in the milk.
A number of modern/traditional recipes call for soaked wheat berries to
be simmered
in fresh water. The soaking produces creed wheat and that gelantinous
mass is then used
to make the frumenty.
The milk/cream can then be added and it's sweetened and then again baked
or boiled.

Dorothy Hartley gives a recipe that says "Boyle hit tylle hit brest
(burst) then;
Let hit down, as I thee kenne. Take new mylke, and play hit up.
Till hit be thykkerede to sup."

There's a foodie post with pictures and a discussion at:
http://adambalic.typepad.com/the_art_and_mystery_of_fo/2008/03/frumenty.html

Johnnae