[Sca-cooks] Grape Leaves

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 25 00:47:48 PDT 2008

>Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for preserving grape leaves?
>I am sure I can find TONS of them on the internet and in my library but if anyone has one they have tried I would appreciate it.
>I have not grapes this year on my one year old vines but lots of leaves!

Its a little late in the season now (unless you are in the Southern hemisphere).  You want to pick them in spring as soon as they have gotten big enough, while they are still a lighter green.  By now they will be tougher.  I'd let your little vine get as much energy as it can for next year.

Years ago, I lived at a house with a huge wild grape vine, growing to the top of a telephone pole. I've never canned them, but have had good luck freezing them. Blanch them in boiling water, then make a stacks of 25 or so and freeze them flat in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out.  When you want to use them, let them defrost, then pour boiling water over them again.

Ranvaig