[Sca-cooks] pies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 12:39:58 PDT 2008

Cailte replied to me with:

<<< On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:08:38 -0500
   Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Cailte, what do you mean by "piggy-pie shaped"?

word from my childhood back in baltimore.  no idea how it
came about, but my family called any half-circle pastry
with sweet filling a piggy-pie.  usually a turnover of pie
crust with jelly filling, with some white frosting/glaze. >>>

Ah, Thank you. That makes sense now, although when first reading this
I wasn't sure if these pies were shaped like little pigs or just what.

And since I was saving your message for the Florilegium, I thought
others might be confused by the term in the future.

<<< empanadas come to mind, in my new home, as the best
description of the shape/look. >>>

I think I've heard these small pies called turnovers or hand-pies.

Folks if you were looking in the Florilegium for small hand-pies like
this, what name would you look for?

I started off with a file called "pies-msg", which sprung off "fruit-
pies-msg" and "meat-pies-msg" and more recently "fish-pies-msg" but
both "pies-msg" and 'meat-pies-msg" are now pretty big and I have a
lot more new info to add for each of them. Maybe I need to pull some
info and put it into something for small pies, but those could be
fish, meat, fruit or custard so maybe that wouldn't work.

<<< guess my basic language took over when i was speed-typing. 8) >>>

Lol.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas