[Sca-cooks] Scottish Food

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Mon Dec 1 23:38:02 PST 2008

Also look for "1990 Catherine Brown From Broth to Bannocks: Cooking in
Scotland from 1690 to the present day"
I like it, it has some information from unpublished sources. I tried
Emailing Catherine Brown to see if there was any way to get our collective
hands on the unpublished sources but she didn't reply. Perhaps she will
publish them at some point.

A very valuable resource is "The Scots Gard'ner" by John Reid published in
Edinburgh in 1683.
Not a recipe book but how to garden a huge range of stuff ornamental and
edible.
I have a photocopy of one procured via interlibrary loan. The Calendar
portion is online http://www.cyberscotia.com/ogmios/texts/reid/kalendar.html
Not as useful as the whole manual but still lots of good information. As
mentioned in another post you can extrapolate off of available foodstuffs in
the absence of actual recipes. Not ideal, but better than trying to serve
completely inappropriate stuff.

Lady Castlehill's receipt book: A selection of 18th century Scottish fare :
original recipes from a collection made in 1712 is ok but frustrating, They
didn't include the whole thing and I bet they chose more of the "weird"
receipt than the "normal" ones. (Like Elinor Fettiplace I would prefer the
whole thing rather than an artistic selection).

The 1736 book is Mrs. McLintock's Receipts for cookery and Pastry-Work -
This is an excellent book even though it is out of period.

Scottish Cookery has been a fascination and frustration for me since I
visited Scotland in 1977. There is just so little available to the common
person.

Randell Raye of Crianlarich

Message: 6