[Sca-cooks] Scottish Food

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Dec 2 11:25:54 PST 2008

My articles that I referenced actually mention these books and others. I
included full bibliographies
in both. I was trying not to overwhelm the asker of the question. (I
don't think she has been back anyway.)

I thought about mentioning Catherine Brown's From Broth to Bannocks but
the topic
was medieval Scots cuisine and this one starts at 1690. It's also OP at
the moment and can be
hard to obtain. Bookfinder does have some used copies.

I own the facsimile of the Scots Gard'ner. Annette Hope did the intro
for the 1988 edition. It's
also available on EEBO, so if you have access to that you can just
download a copy. I find it
rather fascinating as Reid saved his money and emigrated to America
where he worked as an overseer
and deputy surveyor general in New Jersey. By 1700, just 16 years after
his arrival he owned 3700 plus
acres.

Castlehill is probably in a number of SCA collections. A number of us
bought when it came out of course in 1976.

Mrs. McLintock's Receipts for cookery and Pastry-Work is funny. Search
it under *Iseabail Macleod* on
Bookfinder and copies run as low as $8.54 with shipping.
It costs $5.99 right now on Jessica's Biscuit--
http://www.ecookbooks.com/p-10340-mrs-mclintocks-receipts-for-co.aspx

We are working right now to get copies of both articles placed in the
Florilegium. I promised Stefan
I would do this for him.

Johnnae

Laureen Hart mentioned: