[Sca-cooks] cranberry substitute

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:34:53 PST 2008

No problem...here 'tis:

Green Tomato and Onion Chutney

2 pounds green tomatoes (1kg)
1 pound onions (500 gr)
1 pound cooking apples (500gr)
2 1/4 C wine vinegar - but I used cider vinegar (575 mL)
1 1/2 C golden raisins/sultanas (8 oz/250 gr)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 T chopped ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper

1.    Chop the tomatoes, peel and chop the onions, and peel, core, and chop
the apples. (Chop the optional red pepper.)

2.    Place in non-reactive pan and add half the vinegar.

3.    Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 45 minutes.

4.    Add the remaining vinegar and the other ingredients and simmer over
medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the chutney thickens, about 20 -
30 minutes.

5.    Ladle into hot, sterilized jars. Cover with a cloth and seal when
cold. Will keep for up to 12 months. Makes 2 -3 pints.

Devra, you probably recognize this as you originally posted it.  It is
incredibly wonderful...thanks for sharing!

Kiri