[Sca-cooks] Cranberry substitute

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 17:57:29 PST 2008

I think there may be a cultural or language difference here.  Sometimes here in California, sour cherries are labelled "pie cherries" as they are better for pies than the sweet ones.  Perhaps if you asked the grocer [the person in charge of the fruits and vegetables], rather than the clerk, for his/her recommendation, you might get pointed to a cherry that is more sour than sweet.  Or ask for the cherry by its name.  Two sour cherries that come to my mind are Montmorrency cherries and Morello cherries.  It is possible that your clerk wasn't aware that Montmorrency or Morello cherries were considered sour cherries.

Also, about cranberries.  Are you able to get dried fruit in Chile that has been grown elsewhere?  I know that dried cranberries here in the US are called "Craisins", which is a combination of the words cranberry and raisins.  You might be able to find craisins in your dried fruit section of your supermarket, or by some other variation of the name.

Huette