[Sca-cooks] Ideas for homemade holiday gifts

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 18:16:03 PST 2008

Stefan asked:
What is your recipe for your spiced honey butter? How do you keep it from
going bad? Do you can it? Or just make it close to when you give it and
recommend folks use it quickly?

Well, like most things I do, I don't have a concrete recipe. Basically, I
soften butter (I *think* I used unsalted last time, but I'm not sure), and
mix in enough honey so that it tastes sweet, but not too sweet, and the
consistency is of a nice spread. For spicing, I use just about everything I
have that is warm and comforting, but not hot. Last time, it was cinnamon,
nutmeg, mace, cloves, and cardamom (again, I *think* - I didn't write it
down, per usual). I go for a nice balance of all the spices, not too
overwhelming on any of them. I'm sure the flavor improves if it's held in
the fridge for a few days, but it's never lasted long enough to find out
it's bad. I would imagine keeping it covered (so exposure to air/moisture
doesn't make the butter go rancid), plus the preserving properties of the
honey would allow it to keep for a while. I also can't think of why it
couldn't be frozen...

Ilsebet