[Sca-cooks] Marinated turkey

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:10:19 PST 2008

Christianna wrote:
> Check your ingredients list.  It could be marinated in what amounts to a
> brine, which will make your white meat juicier and doesn't require the
> effort of brining the bird yourself.  If it has some flavoring added (common
> flavor themes here in the US are Lemon Pepper, BBQ, Cajun, Mesquite, and
> Herb) then it will probably mess with your recipe and you might be better
> off taking it back.  (those are common flavorings found on chickens anyway,

That was the problem the ingredients are not listed but I found the 800
number for the company on the package and called them. The woman checked
it out and it is brine and nothing more. Thank you so much for your
prompt reply Christianna I was ready to take the bird back but did not
have the receipt. Peter received my message on his cell phone and
dropped it off with the custodian but I did not know that until just now
when he called me. Anyway, you saved me a trip to the supermarket and I
told Peter  it seems like he bought the best bird on the market! :-)
Selene wrote:
> I have not seen a pre-flavored marinated turkey in the US either, but I
> bet it's a great comfort to the infrequent cook faced with making a
> Thanksgiving turkey!  Pre-marinated meats and poultry are showing up
> here, I have not really looked but maybe they're doing whole big turkies
> as well.  I prefer to flavor my own and I suspect that Suey does too.

Absolutely, I don't want others messing with my bird! I did two 30 lb
turkeys per year in Spain, one for Thanksgiving and the left overs and
the other for 100+ in-laws for Christmas for 30 years. Too many cooks
can ruin the pot. ;-)
Suey