[Sca-cooks] Selene's spice cakes/breads

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 22:43:09 PST 2008

Not "period" but considering the recipe is from one of the founding
members of the SCA, maybe it's not so inappropriate.

I don't want to call it "fruitcake" because then people would avoid it.
I use this batter to glue together all the fruit and nuts I can jam in,
candied peels and dried fruit.  No citron because I don't like it much
and neither do my friends.  It keeps pretty well, particularly when
doused with brandy or rum.

Selene

Recipe:

 SPICEBREAD
[adapted from a recipe by MZB in THE DARKOVER COOKBOOK, 1979 ed.]

1/4 cup soft shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1/2 cup coffee

Mix together.  Then sift in separate bowl:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Add to liquid ingredients.  Spread in pan, after adding nuts, raising,
crystallized fruit or anything else desired, bake till tender and cut
into bars.  Or add extra flour as desired, roll out, cut into shapes and
bake.

Basic Baking Time is 1/2 hour at 350oF.  Adjust for thickness of the
loaf/biscuits/bars.

Variations:
Instead of coffee:  Sanka, cocoa, other brewed liquids?

Additional spices:  coriander, pepper, galingale, anise, whatever.

Shortenings:  Crisco is good, regular vegetable oil gives a nice soft
product but nut oils taste better [strongly flavored oils like olive or
sesame would be odd], margarine will work as would lard [but you have to
really like lard].

Fresh chopped apples and pears are good in this.  Absolutely any nuts
and dried or candied fruits are appropriate, and a lot of these make for
a great Xmas-fruitcake. For a plum pudding steam the batter in a bowl or
mold for a couple of hours, then flame with brandy.