[Sca-cooks] Selene's spice cakes/breads

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 05:39:00 PST 2008

I often make an applesauce cake using a recipe that I inherited from my
mother.   I do a similar kind of thing with the fruit and nuts, though she
used to use home made fig preserves and cherry preserves in it...she'd drain
off the "juice" from the fruit and add just the whole fruits to the mix.  As
I don't have her wonderful preserves to use, I simply take dried figs and
soak them in wine, often Takara Plum wine (from Japan...best plum wine there
is, IMHO).

If I am making it for Christmas, I usually make it at Thanksgiving, giving
me close to a month to soak and age the cake before serving.  I usually use
the aforementioned plum wine to soak the cake.  I get it thoroughly
dampened, then wrap the cake in a non-fuzzy kitchen towel and put it in a
cake box, usually a tupperware one.  I then repeat the soaking process every
5 or 6 days until I pull it out to serve it.  By the time I finish, it
almost has the feel of a plum pudding!  And I think it's much tastier than a
fruit cake.

Kiri

<snippage>