[Sca-cooks] OOP: Brussels Sprouts for Kiri

Gaylin Walli gaylinwalli at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 21:19:33 PST 2008

 To be truthful, I sort of made it up as I went. Let me see if I can tell
you what I did. I'm sorry it's not in modern recipe format.

I grabbed a gallon-sized ziploc bag of brussels sprouts from the freezer.
They had been cleaned and trimmed of the hard ends before freezing sometime
late this year but had nothing else done to them before I stuffed them into
the freezer bag. I pulled the bag out of the freezer and ran it into a sink
of coolish water while I was preparing other things. This defrosted them
somewhat but not completely.

The whole of the bag completely filled a very deep glass baking dish I have.
To the brussels sprouts in the pan I added three tablespoons of cold butter,
cut into small chunks (they were what was left over from the biscuit dough
for the cobbler). I also added three smashed garlic cloves about the size of
my thumbnail and another two or three the size of my pinkie nail.

Then I drizzled olive oil on the sprouts, probably about two tablespoons
worth, and another two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Then I rasped the
outside of an orange (all of it) over the top of the dish, cut the orange in
half and squeezed the juice from both halves on to the dish.

Then I added a healthy teaspoon of red sea salt, ground a few really good
grinds of a mixed peppercorn mix onto it, and tossed it lightly to coat the
sprouts with everything in the pan.

Pan covered then into a 450F oven for...hmmm....35 minutes? Until the
sprouts were crisping and browning, with the occasional turn with a wooden
spoon. As they were getting close to being done, I toasted a good handful of
slivered almonds in a dry pan...maybe... hmmm...I think maybe as much as
half a cup but it looked like less in my hand.

Toss together, add a little more sea salt for texture, and serve.

Would have been better with pancetta, but I didn't have any. :) Or shallots.
Or..or...or...:) Relatively speaking it's pretty glycemic friendly though.

Sorry I don't have more specific directions. I was sort of flying through
the kitchen at Mach-1. :)

Happy Holidays!

Iasmin