[Sca-cooks] OOP: Brussels Sprouts for Kiri

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Sat Dec 27 10:55:29 PST 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 00:19:33 -0500
  "Gaylin Walli" <gaylinwalli at gmail.com> wrote:
> To be truthful, I sort of made it up as I went. Let me
>see if I can tell
> you what I did. I'm sorry it's not in modern recipe
>format.

sounds great.  i shot from the hip as well this year.
   boiled some brussel sprouts in water with salt and
sugar (just a bit - mellows them out), cut up some bacon
and fried it.   put it aside and drained the fat in the
pan to about a tbsp and a half.  threw in some sweet
sherry and just a pinch of brown sugar.  added the brussel
sprouts and sauted them a bit, then threw in the bacon.
  rounded out a very nice menu, one the husband monster
decreed one of the best holiday dinners ever.

four bone beef rib roast glazed with mustard, sherry,
horseradish, black pepper roasted on a bed of carrots,
onions and garlic

jansen's (sp) temptation for the potatoes

harvard beets

bacon brussel sprouts

horseradish sauce (prep horseradish and mexican crema - a
touch smoother than sour cream i think)

vanilla ice cream w/ merlot poached spiced pears on top
and crumbled ameretti.

just a little dinner that i worked on slowly throughout
the day, enjoying the musical scrooge, the dark knight and
ratatouille.   eclectic, to say the least!

now to deal with the leftovers...

happy holidays all!

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico