[Sca-cooks] Another Pastry Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 01:30:20 PST 2008

Sandra asked:

<<< I don't bake pastry that often, so I don't own any dedicated pie
weights
(I've heard you can use pennies in foil, but I'm not sure I want to try
that).  Can the beans/rice be cooked (and eaten) after they've been used
blind-baking a pie shell, or are they pretty much useless for
anything but
the next pastry baking? >>>

We have discussed this blind pie shell backing here before. It is
where I first heard of this technique.

You can find some comments about "pie beans" including using rice in
this Florilegium file in the FOOD section:
pies-msg         (202K) 11/13/08    Period pie crusts, meat and fruit
pies.

I seem to remember the concensus being that while you could use the
beans or rice afterward it really wasn't a good idea.  I've got a
container somewhere of my previously used "pie rice" to use the next
time I need it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas