[Sca-cooks] Church Key was A Knife Problem

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 29 06:50:06 PST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:

> An alternative albeit supplimentary hypothesis is suggested by a
> close look at the church key shown and the early bottle cap
> openers.  The form of the handle end of the church key and the
> bottle cap openers are quite a like. It is not to out of the realm
> to suppose that in this case form may have suggested function.
>
> Daniel

This is true, but I wonder how a church key differs from any other
key, or how common it was, until quite recently, to even lock churches
in the first place...

Essentially, I'm wondering how common it is to use the word "church"
and "key" in the same sentence, in the historical long term, such that
the expression would have any real meaning to the average person.

I mean, it could be a little like calling cigarettes "coffin nails" --
yes, sometimes coffins are held together with nails (and sometimes
not), and generally they're of a similarly oblong shape, but the
question is, is that really the message being sent?

Adamantius