[Sca-cooks] New Year's Eve/Day repast

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:08:37 PST 2008

In the past when I had children at home we made a large fuss of New Year’s celebrations.  The party began at Grandma's house with Open House.  The potluck buffet usually included sliced turkey and ham, shrimp-and-crab dip, several varieties of breads and cheeses, relish tray of fresh veggies, relish tray of pickled veggies, an assortment of chips and an assortment of drinks.  Friends came to call, and the family went to call on friends, but the house was never unattended and everyone was at the house by midnight.

New Year's Day was usually at my house, sort of a two-part, Brunch: of doughnuts, sliced oranges, boiled eggs, bacon, potatoes fried with onions, garlic and celery, and whatever hot drinks were available (many varieties of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and hot chocolate made with the coffee).  Dinner: corned beef and cabbage (with a dime cooked in it for luck and wealth), soda bread, and whatever was left from New Year's Eve.

Grandma passed away a year ago, and I have not properly prepared for her style of open-house celebration (still dealing with the aftereffects, shock, grief, and all of that I think).  The older two live too far away and have their own celebrations, the younger daughter has to work, and the youngest is spending the week between Christmas and New Year's Day with his father (part of the divorce agreement that until now he has never chosen to exercise).

This year it is just the housemate and I.  He can't drink and I never did much care for the rowdy carousing of 'armature night' at the bars.  Besides, it would be unfair to him to expose him to the temptations 11 months into a year's worth of much needed sobriety.

So I am sitting at the desk in my rapidly dwindling lunch break and wondering what to do about the New Year.  Seems an appropriate time for new beginnings and new traditions.

Turning to Google, I discovered:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/newyear.html

which was useful for starting the ideas going

But I found myself wondering .... What is everyone else doing for New Years Eve/Day?

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster Never knock on Death's door.Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that. I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.