[Sca-cooks] liquor and fruits

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Fri Dec 5 22:36:28 PST 2008

><<< Try cutting the end off a cantaloupe, scooping out the seeds and
>filling it with home brewed anisette (or a mix of that and water if
>you don't want to use that much anisette). The melon is wonderful,
>and the melon-flavored anisette to kill for! There is much to be said
>for soaking fruit in brew (G).
>
>Morgana yr Oerfa >>>

Stefan pondered...

>I was wondering what "anisette" was, but rather than just asking
>here, I did some web searches. Then I noted that Morgana said "home
>brewed anisette".  I'm assuming Morgana, that you really don't mean
>brewed as in fermenting, but as in making a cordial, which I didn't
>think was classified as "brewing". Or perhaps I've got the wrong
>type  of drink in mind.
>
>Anisette, is very easy to make. It resembles the flavor of black
>licorice and is quit good in mixed drinks. Tastes just like
>DeKuyper's® Anisette.
>
>15.7 oz. (466 ml.) 100° proof Vodka (non-flavored)
>7 drops anise oil
>9.6 oz. (284 ml.) simple syrup
>1 tsp. (5 ml.) glycerin (optional)

Yes, technically I meant cordial/liqueur. Mine doesn't use oil or
glycerin, but star anise and sometimes other herbs (cardamom is
wonderful with anise). Using the herbs usually means to let it steep
for awhile before straining and later drinking. And it tastes much
better than any commercial anisette (G).

I'm not spoon teasing: the basic recipe is in the Oerthan cookbook,
which is still available. Hint, hint,

Morgana
--
Wit is educated insolence. -Aristotle, philosopher (384-322 BCE)