[Sca-cooks] A question about dates and marzipan

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 15:48:20 PST 2008

In Art, Culture, and Cuisine, Phyllis Pray Bober has a recipe for
Stuffed Dates in Honey. It appears in the classical section.
They appear in a number of Middle Eastern recipes.
The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
by Claudia Roden includes dates stuffed with almond paste, but it's not,
I think,
credited as a medieval recipe.

Ivan Day at
http://www.historicfood.com/Trayne%20Roste%20Recipe.htm includes
a recipe for Trayne Roste and other Spit Cakes with pictures.

So what is the modern reference to Scotland and stuffed dates in period?
Can you provide the reference for us?

Johnnae