[Sca-cooks] Gingerbread

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Sat Dec 13 20:27:02 PST 2008

Wow, I never worry about getting it that fine.  I usually toast the bread
and let it dry out a bit, then put it in a food processor and grind it up.
I have made it with dried ginger (usually) and with fresh ginger root
steeped in the hot honey.  The dried ginger is usually stronger.  Either
works fine.  Here's the thing, this is a fairly adaptable recipe.  It is
honey and breadcrumbs and spices.  It can be brown bread, white bread, mixed
loaves, semi-dry, really dry, wildflower honey, clover honey, whatever you
have on hand.  It doesn't "have" to be anything one way or the other.  The
period recipe specifies that the honey be clarified, get the wax and bee
parts out of it.  It calls for waste bread, so obviously it was going to
change from time to time when being made in the average medieval household.
I have even had it made with rye crumbs, and that was darned tasty.

Good luck!
Christianna