[Sca-cooks] Brightening up the Holiday Season with a little Surrealism...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 17 07:51:53 PST 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Saint Phlip wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
> <adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 17, 2008, at 12:39 AM, Saint Phlip wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering where that suspicious half a ham came from ;-)
>>
>> Phew! Those malefactors will stop at nothing! Good thing it wasn't
>> a can of
>> Spam in the five-pound presentation size...
>
> Margali would love it ;-)

Now you've got me imagining this sort of American Burns Night (Edgar
Guest Night?), with  guy in Madras Bermuda shorts bringing in a
flaming platter of Spam to the accompaniment of "It's A Small World,
After All," played on the kazoo...

>> although I'd think a pig cured
>> with salt, sugar, and pepper, then smoked, portioned, packaged,
>> etc., would
>> be beyond the capacity for suspicion. It's pretty straightforward,
>> it seems
>> to me. Indignation, maybe, I could see... suspicion, not so much.
>> Did it say
>> what it suspected?
>
> I don't know- I didn't ask. I just saw it peeping out of the box at
> me, not saying a word...

It was probably all P.O.'d at having been sliced up, as Jean
Shepherd's Bumpuses would say, lahk hawg bacon. But I figured a single
ham-eating entity who has been known to fry said ham rather than doing
the big baked whole ham thing, might be better off with sealed packets
of slices. Call it a logistical experiment.

Perhaps it was saying, "Look on my pork, ye mighty, and despair!"

Incidentally, I got another, and almost eerily similar, email this
morning, regarding mysterious haggises arriving on the doorsteps of
innocent American citizens. This time the DHS was not contacted, but I
gather there was some discussion of calling in the local police bomb
squad...

> I'm sure I can find something to do with it. Fried ham, red-eye gravy
> (do we have any grits?) and maybe some cornbread and greens ought to
> be a decent Christmas Eve meal, keeping me well fed as I cook the
> goose for Christmas Day. I'd prefer a duck, but R&M will want some
> leftovers when they get home from upstate New York, so I guess I'll be
> cooking a goose. Just hope they leave the leftover turkey upstate,
> like they did for Thanksgiving ;-)

What, no biscuits?

I made a lovely gumbo out of leftover turkey some weeks ago. A first
time for me... it seems like an excellent way to use up leftover
turkey; between the dark roux, the seasonings, the vegetables, the
smoked sausage and the shrimp, the turkey almost seems extraneous.
Okay, what do I mean, almost?

I'm sure to want turkey again. In about a year... maybe two.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter