[Sca-cooks] OOP ethnic silly question...and holiday greetings!

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 21 08:08:56 PST 2008

S CLEMENGER wrote:
> I've been wanting to ask the lot of you this one for a couple of weeks now, but I never seem to have the time, when I remember, OR remember when I'm actually on line!
>
> I'm wondering what y'all's perspective is on the true, canonical meat to be used in a Reuben.  A couple of weeks ago, I had the very, very great pleasure of eating this amazing reuben sandwich at Canter's in West Hollywood, and a friend and I got into this silly-friendly wrangle over which is better in a reuben--corned beef, or pastrami.  She insisted corned beef, so I had to have pastrami just to be contrary.  (My eyes still cross in utter pleasure, just remembering that sandwich, and the kosher dills that came with it.....)

I seem to recall that a Reuben is properly made with corned beef, but
what is pastrami but corned beef with extra spices?  In this particular
cuisine anyway, I'm not getting into a history of bsturma right now.
> I am now, of course, suffering a terminal "Jewish deli" jones....and we don't have one in the entire state of Montana....although a friend who lives in Queens is enticing me to come visit, by telling me all about the great places to eat in NYC (which, of course, reminded me strongly of Master A!).

Montana.  Jeebus.  That's a tough pull.  All you can do is a lot of "do
it yourself" -- get the pickle recipe off of WildFermentation.com and
use a lot of garlic cloves, that should help fulfill your craving.
<http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=pickles>

> (Oh, and Selene...feel free to stop being a spoon tease with applesauce cake descriptions, and no recipe!)

Dude!  I will take the rap for my own misdeeds but that was LAINIE.
Slug spoon tease extraordinaire.  I'm going to taunt her with my home
made plum wine, which puts most commercial brands to shame!  Shame!

Selene

Selene