[Sca-cooks] Divinity-like candy from Nostradamus

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Dec 22 09:01:51 PST 2008

>candy made of sugar syrup cooked to hard-crack, then spun
>eversogently into egg whites,  some folks add fine-ground walnuts.
>I've not made divinity in some number of years ........ perhaps I
>should today ..... hmnJo (Georgia L.) Foster Never knock on Death's
>door.Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that. I don't want to
>set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.

The divinity like candy that I have made for a long time--I think
closer to divinity than what's been described here--is hulwa from
al-Baghdadi. Cook down a sugar syrup, beat it into lightly beaten egg
whites. The result is natif, a thick white cream which hardens fairly
fast. You mix it with chopped nuts, form it into candies. I sometimes
add chopped dried apricots as well, although that isn't in the
original.

The original also offers the alternatives of honey instead of sugar
syrup, or of Dips--date syrup. I've never been able to get the honey
version cooked down far enough to give the sort of dry, crunchy
effect I get with sugar--it ends up soft and a little sticky. The
stickyiness can be dealt with by rolling them in ground walnuts.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com