[Sca-cooks] Pastry Question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 27 04:07:13 PST 2008

On Dec 26, 2008, at 10:41 PM, osermart at msu.edu wrote:

> After the crust had baked for 10 minutes, I took it out to remove
> the beans I'd used to weight it and the the sides of the crust had
> slumped over in spots!  I was able to use my long icing spatula to
> press everything back up against the sides of the pan and it stayed
> that way for the rest of the baking.
>
> The pan I used was a straight-sided 8-inch round cake pan (the
> recipe called for an 8-inch springform pan, which also has straight
> sides).  Husband says I should have filled it with beans high enough
> up to hold the sides up as it baked.  Is this the case, or is there
> some trick to sticking the pastry to the sides of the pan so it
> doesn't slump while baking?

Piling the beans high enough to give a little added support to the
sides couldn't hurt, as long as there's enough time for the heat to
get to the sides in baking (you can get artificial pie beans made of
aluminum that are a little more heat-conductive).

Some recipes do specify greasing the bottom but not the sides of the
pan for this reason, but I believe that's mostly a cake thing.

In general, though, piling the beans a little higher and being
prepared to fix it while the pastry is still warm, moist and flexible,
as you did, should the problem arise, is what most people do.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter