[Sca-cooks] A Knife Problem

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 27 06:04:42 PST 2008

On Dec 27, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> There are various reasons why I do this, almost all connected with
> situations where they needed a knife for an art project or to make
> something for science olympiad or they needed to cut something and
> the scissors were too far away.  Want to cut a a chunk of something
> or cut hard plastic-- grab a knife. Can't find the exacto blade? Use
> one of her knives.  And once used, the knives when the projects are
> done invariably end up in the sink too which is another no-no for
> good knives.

I keep three or four Opinel utility knives in key locations around the
house for this sort of thing, and the other inmates are mostly trained
to use them (I also use them for slightly unusual jobs like opening
oysters). Whoever uses them washes them as needed (in theory) and I
keep them sharp.

But then, ah, yes, there is the sink, that bourne from which no barely-
used tool returns when the user wants to feel righteous because they
"cleaned up" instead of merely passing the buck ;-)

Adamantius