[Sca-cooks] Stefan's can cannon was A Knife Problem

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 28 07:30:13 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Georgia Foster wrote:

> Oh my
>
> I had not thought of can cannons in ........ many years.
>
> I absolutely MUST raid the next 'pastoralist campsite' ... must must
> must.   There are so many things the two younger children have not
> experienced.

My son and I, after our annual re-viewing of "A Christmas Story", went
hardcore and listened to several hours worth of old Jean Shepherd
radio broadcasts, one of which included the tale of how he, Schwartz,
Flick, Bruner and Scut Simonson (I guess they were older; Kissel and
Kasimir not being in evidence in this one), and several other members
of their Boy Scout troop, spent a Saturday afternoon constructing the
World's Biggest Carbide Cannon behind Doppler's garage.

Apparently it involved a 30-gallon galvanized iron trash can, the lid
to same being glued on with some sort of rubbery roofing sealant, and
they all then spent the next six months denying they were ever there,
or that in fact it ever happened, living in terror of being thrown in
the slammer for blowing up Doppler's garage and half the neighborhood
in general.

Ah, for the good old days (which I'm sure Shepherd would have argued
were the same as the current ones and therefore not old, and not
especially good). My son's comment on all of it was that kids used to
get away with more crimes than they do now, and that Shepherd's
nemeses, Scut Farkas and Grover Dill, would simply have vanished
without a trace if _he_ had lived in Hohman, Indiana in the 30's.

<sniff> I'm so proud.

Adamantius