[Sca-cooks] liquor and fruits

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 5 16:09:03 PST 2008

> I frequently soak dried fruit in wine before using them in
> recipes...one
> memorable one was a Japanese recipe that called for dried apricots
> that had
> been reconstituted in sake.  MMMmmmmmmmm.  The apricots were
> wonderful, but
> the apricot-infused sake was to die for!
>
> Kiri

I've soaked various dried fruits in wine in the last few years when a
recipe called for dried fruits or sometimes fresh fruits but all I
had was dried.  I don't know if I learned that from this group or
recipes like fruitcake.

<<< Try cutting the end off a cantaloupe, scooping out the seeds and
filling it with home brewed anisette (or a mix of that and water if
you don't want to use that much anisette). The melon is wonderful,
and the melon-flavored anisette to kill for! There is much to be said
for soaking fruit in brew (G).

Morgana yr Oerfa >>>

I was wondering what "anisette" was, but rather than just asking
here, I did some web searches. Then I noted that Morgana said "home
brewed anisette".  I'm assuming Morgana, that you really don't mean
brewed as in fermenting, but as in making a cordial, which I didn't
think was classified as "brewing". Or perhaps I've got the wrong type
of drink in mind.

Anyway, for those that might be interested, here is the recipe I
found on: http://www.lusionspub.com/anisette.html
---------
Anisette, is very easy to make. It resembles the flavor of black
licorice and is quit good in mixed drinks. Tastes just like
DeKuyper's® Anisette.

15.7 oz. (466 ml.) 100° proof Vodka (non-flavored)
7 drops anise oil
9.6 oz. (284 ml.) simple syrup
1 tsp. (5 ml.) glycerin (optional)

• Add alcohol to the bottle in which the anisette will be stored; add
anise oil and shake vigorously until all oil is dissolved (1 min.)
Add the rest of the ingredients and again shake well. Presto—it's
ready to drink!

30% Alc. by Vol. (60°). Makes 750 ml.

Stefan

--------