[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium article for December

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 00:29:33 PST 2008

A Merry Yule to all those reading this on the SCA-Cook's list!

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December describing what
is new in the Florilegium for this month.

Since we have a lot of new and updated files this month, I didn't try
to remind you of all the various Yule oriented files in the
Florilegium. But if you would like to find out more about what the
Yule season was like in the Middle Ages, or need beverage or food
recipes for various revels and parties, both within and outside of
the SCA, check the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS, BEVERAGES and the various
FOOD sections in the Florilegium.

If you have ever written a class handout or A&S documentation, please
think about sending it to me for possible inclusion in the
Florilgium. This is a great way to give back to the Society that we
all enjoy and I'll accept updates at any time. This means you don't
have to wait until you know everything about a subject since you can
update an article as you learn more. Even if something is incomplete
readers can still learn from it and perhaps having something in the
Florilegium will get you questions and comments which will help you
learn more about your subject.

Best Wishes for a Merry Yule and a Happy New Year,
     Stefan
------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past nineteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an
article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send
it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation
and class handouts will also often work out well.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the BEVERAGES section:
    Basic-Beer-art       "The Basics of Beer Making" by THL George Anne.
In the CELEBRATIONS AND EVENTS section:
    Doc-n-Obitury-art    "Documentation is not an Obituary" by Master
                            Rhys Terafan Greydragon.
In the CHILDREN section:
    child-tags-msg       Identity tags for children at SCA events.
In the COMBAT section:
    Fustibalus-art       "How To Throw Rocks Really Far: A
                            Fustibalus
" by Jehanne de Wodeford
.
In the CRAFTS section:
    Arch-Chem-Nms-art    "Archaic Chemical Names and Modern
                            Equivalents" by Baron Ibrahim ibn Abih al
                            Thaalibi, OP, OL.
    Pottery-bib          A pottery bibliography by Master Hroar.
In the FEASTS section:
    Anst-12Nt-Fst-art    Ansteorra 12th Night Feast in 2007 done by
                            Count Gunthar.
    fd-kitch-staf-msg    Feeding your kitchen staff.
In the FOOD section:
    fd-sumpt-laws-msg    Medieval food sumptuary laws.
In the FOOD-FRUITS section:
    elderberries-msg     Medieval use of elderberries. Processing
                            them and recipes.
In the HOME, SWEET HOME section:
    Oil-Lamps-art        "Oil Lamps & Working with Natural Oils"
                            by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
In the PERFORMANCE ARTS section:
    Rondeau-art          "Rondeau: 'round we go" by Lady Ingeborg
                            bildrbriótr Ulfsdottir.
In PERIOD-THOUGHT:
    riddles-msg          Medieval riddles.
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
    Quilt-bib            "Quilt bibliography" by THL George Anne.

Here are the updated files for this month.
    Artem-hist-msg       Histories of the Kingdom of Artemisia.
    bev-distilled-msg    Medieval distilled beverages. Distilling.
    disabilities-msg     Disabilities in the SCA and period, hiding
                            wheelchairs, SCA sign language.
    feasts-fish-msg      Serving fish at SCA feasts.
    fish-pies-msg        Period fish pies. Recipes.
    fried-breads-msg     Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.
    fruit-pies-msg       Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.
    gate-guards-msg      Handling gate-guard for events.
    headcooks-msg        Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
    pancakes-msg         Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
    pig-heads-msg        Cooking, displaying or otherwise working
                            with pig's heads. Real and artificial.
    redacting-msg        Changing period recipes into modern format.
    tent-ps-msg          Pavilion poles, stakes and ropes.
    venison-msg          Medieval and modern recipes for venison.
---
Copyright 2008, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas