[Sca-cooks] Rugelach (OOP)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:22:47 PST 2008

A couple of weeks back, I was asking for rugelach recipes, to send
some as a Hanukkah treat for my brother overseas.  They worked out
well enough that I made another batch yesterday, to bring in for
"Holiday Treats Day" at work.  The recipe I wound up using is here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6649570

I only followed the recipe for the dough and baking instructions.
Rugelach fillings are so flexible that do don't really need a recipe.
I used two different flavors of preserves, sprinkled with chopped
walnuts.  Tip: do spread preserves *thinly*, or you'll wind up with a
leaking mess.  I made my wedges thinner than the recipe sugests, and
wound up with a larger quantity of bite-sized rugelach.  My marble
rolling pin and a pastry cloth were very helpful, as were a silicone
baking mat and an insulated cookie sheet.  Since you're cutting the
dough into wedges, it doesn't have to be a perfect circle (a good
thing, because I can never manage one).

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
My NEW email is rcarrollmann at gmail.com