[Sca-cooks] Dates

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 8 23:48:08 PST 2008

I wrote:
>I made an experiment when i cooked the Ottoman Investiture
>Feast in November 2007. Since camphor gives a cooling sensation like
>menthol, and is in the cinnamon family, i mixed peppermint extract
>with powdered cinnamon and sprinkled an Ottoman sweet with it. Yes,
>it doesn't really taste like cinnamon, but still it might be worth
>the experiment here, too, although i have not yet tried it.

Ah, the misplaced antecedent... what i meant was:
camphor doesn't really taste like cinnamon.

Clearly the mix of peppermint extract and cinnamon would taste in
part like cinnamon (or, uh, cinnamint... urk)

Anyway, no one complained about the flavor on the pastries - there
wasn't a single one left and folks were asking for more of the labor
intensive little delights, the sanbuse mukallele (all letters "e" are
voiced). The original recipe called for mixing camphor with sugar and
sprinkling this on them after they were cooked, so i was trying to at
least give a hint of what camphor might be like...

Anyone know where an individual can purchase some menthol to flavor
food? Menthol is less minty and has more of that... haaaaaaah
coolness. And it's safer than camphor.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita