[Sca-cooks] Reason for a bread maker

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 17:50:25 PST 2008

Cecelie replied to an inquiry about why she wants a breadmaker,
rather than doing it with a mixer or by hand with:

<<< Basically I was looking at a bread machine for making dough. I
really wasn't planning on using it to bake the bread. Thanks for all
the help. Now Im off in search of a kitchenaide mixer :) >>>

I've considered one before for convenience. While it is doing its
thing, I can do other things. I seldom have enough time to get
everything else I want to do, done anyway. Plus it seems a shame to
heat up the oven, and the house in the summer, for one loaf of bread.
We don't eat that much bread, and I really should stay away from
eating a lot of carbs.

Anyway, Cecilie, I'm not sure how long you have been on this list,
but we have had some discussions about kitchenaide mixers.
Unfortunately, I don't believe I saved any of those discussions.
However, if you want some good advice on making bread, especially
from Bear, see this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
breadmaking-msg  (248K)  3/28/06    Period bread recipes and re-
creations.

For some of the few (less than a dozen) bread recipes which still
exist from period and other info on medieval breads, see this one:
bread-msg        (244K) 12/16/07    Medieval breads and grains.
    (244k! I guess I need to figure out how to split some of this off
to another file)

And for more recipes, even though most of these are re-creations of
what might have been done in period, see these files:
brd-manchets-msg  (42K) 12/16/07    Small bread loaves of the finest
white flour
brd-mk-ethnic-msg (27K) 11/15/01    Making various ethnic breads.
Recipes.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (68K)  1/17/08    Period flat or unleavened bread
recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (88K)  2/ 4/07    Breadmaking -Period sourdough
bread recipes.

Perhaps these files might also be of use:
yeasts-msg        (84K) 10/ 1/06    Medieval use of yeast. Using it
in the CMA.
flour-msg        (106K)  1/12/08    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.
BNYeast-art       (14K)  4/24/97    "A Brief Note on Yeast" by
Katerine Rountre.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas